Saturday, January 4, 2014

#15 "A Dream Is A Wish Your Heart Makes"

I don't know why it did not occur to me when I wrote my papers or even when I stepped out of the car and into the MTC, or even when I came off the plane in Nagoya airport, or even when I arrived at my appartment in Komatsu, but this week it has finally hit me: Christmas is not going to be the same.

I have always felt that there were two different Christmases - one full of gift-giving and being with family and the other being centered on Jesus Christ. Both are celebrated, both are loved, but the one I adore is the one where I am with family. That's what Christmas is to me, and that's why it is my favorite holiday. If you know me well, then you know I start counting down the days as soon as the weather begins to cool or sometimes before. My companion was shocked to hear that I even esteem Christmas over my birthday. But I have finally realized that this year, Christmas will not be the same.

I hear Christmas songs over and over again, and the line "I'll be home for Christmas, if only in my dreams" hits me so hard, that sometimes I feel like telling my companion that I cannot work that day. "A dream is a wish your heart makes, when you're fast asleep. In dreams you will lose your heartache - whatever you wish for you keep." But how am I to keep Christmas with me this year? My family is of number one importance to me, and being without them this year seems almost impossible.

Almost.

I am reminded of the other kind of Christmas, the other kind that I CAN celebrate this year.

"For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given... His name shall be called, Wonderful Counselor, the Mighty God, the Everlasting Father, the Prince of Peace." (2 Nephi 19:6)

The Prince of Peace - how often do we recognize the different names of Christ and the reasons behind them? This year I have come to know and love the name "Prince of Peace".

"Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you; not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid." (John 14:27)

There is a peace that follows, when we take upon us his yoke, and learn of him. With him, we can find rest for our souls, "for [his] yoke is easy, and [his] burden light."

My purpose in writing to you this week is not to add to your heavy workload this time of year, but rather to take away from it. I invite you all to listen to the Prince of Peace's invitation:

"Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest." (Matt. 11:28-30)

I know that this year I am far from home, far from the Christmas I love and adore, but instead I have found a new Christmas. I wish to share this Christmas with all of you. Listen to the Savior's invitation and come unto him, the Prince of Peace.