Monday, January 6, 2014

#17 "Anyone Can Cook"

HAPPY NEW YEAR! I can't believe it's 2014 already, it seems like time is just flying by.
 
People keep asking me about food, so I thought this week I would write a short passage about how food works for missionaries.
 
We are given an hour to prepare, eat, and clean up after our meals. I can't cook to save my life, so Ishida Shimai usually does everything and I wait until she gives me very very specific instructions so I can help. I'm very slowly learning how to make some Japanese foods and I'm also praying that my next companion can cook, or we are going to starve!! We eat a lot of Japanese foods that are easy and simple to make, like Yakisoba, Udon, Yakiniku, Okonomiyaki, Ramen, Oden, Miso soup, and a whole lotta rice. I love it! I love Japanese food, so this works really well for me!!
 
I was thinking of a Disney reference to go along with this post, and the first movie that came to mind was Ratatouille. If you don't know it, watch it! It's a darling film, and I love it so very much. In the movie, Remi the rat dreams of being a chef, and the phrase "anyone can cook" is constantly repeated over and over again as he overcomes obstacles that get in his way.
 
This reminded me of my New Years Resolution. This year, 2014, is the one year of my life that I will never see my family, and as I reflect with that I'm filled with encouragement. Of course, I miss them, but here I have been given this year to devote to God's work. My resolution this year is to be the best missionary that I can be - every day to strive to be better than I was the day before.
 
Sometimes I don't understand just how God could ask me to be one of His representatives - I am so far from missionary-quality. But hey! "Anyone can cook!" I can try my best for Him. I can remember the gifts and talents He has given me as I face my obstacles in acheiving this goal. "Anyone can cook!"
 
...I hope. Wish me luck! I'm gonna need it.