Monday, January 20, 2014

#19 "Bambi On Ice"

Well now it is safe to say that I have ridden a bike through Komatsu in all weather conditions. Within the first week, I had experienced heavy rain, storms, lightning, and hail. As of two days ago I have now ridden through deep snow and over inches of ice. It makes work very interesting...
 
They say here in Komatsu it will snow until about the middle of March, so I'll がんばります! (stay strong/keep it up). We've heard of so many falls from other missionaries in our zones that we try to keep it safe. We usually ride on the roads, except my companion is afraid of the cars. Then we ride on sidewalks, but I'm afraid of falling and breaking an arm (happened to one sister in this area last year). So which is more dangerous, ice or cars? I have no idea, but I think I'd rather ride with the cars than slip and fall on the hard, cold ice.
 
Actually, my companion did fall last night. It was pretty funny, we were heading home from a teaching appointment and, from my perspective, it seemed like she chucked her bike out from underneath her and started walking away like she was from some kind of action movie. In reality, her bike slid and she jumped off it as it fell to the ground. So yeah! We're lilke Bambi on ice, trying to walk and ride but finding it very slow going.
 
The missionary work is also very slow going. One of our investigators, who is actually really interested in our message, is going to Peru for three months. Another family is moving to Brazil in about a month. With our other investigators, it's hard to tell if they really are interested or not. We keep teaching though. As long as we keep teaching, they can feel the Spirit, and for right now in the cold winter of Komatsu, that will warm you up!
 
Some of the funniest moments I've found are when people open the door, we say "konnichiwa!", and before we can even say our names they close the door saying "kekko desu"(I'm alright). I haven't counted the number of doors that have closed in my face because I've realized that it's not important. What is important is that I get up every day at 6:30 in the morning ready to do whatever He wants me to do. I may not feel like anything I do makes any difference, I may feel like I'm wasting time and money, but in reality this time is not mine, it's His. He sees more than I do. I gotta trust Him.