Monday, January 13, 2014

#18 "Please Bring Honor To Us All"

Alright, I have to keep this one short because I completely ran out of email time. It's crazy how fast one hour can go by!
 
Well this week I had a companion exchange, which means for 24 hours I was with a different companion, in a different area. I was paired up with Takeuchi Shimai, who speaks only Japanese and NO English. ..It was a humbling experience.
 
Sometimes I worry that I'll never get the hang of this language, that I'll never be able to share with these people of Komatsu the testimony that is going to explode inside me. It's refreshing to know that others came before me, more specifically my dad.
 
Today is his birthday, and I just want you all to know that he is so old. Whoops I meant to say cool. He is so cool though - he served in the same mission, and even the same area, that I am serving in right now. My Disney reference from Mulan is dedicated to him this week.
 
As Mulan prepares to meet the matchmaker of her town, she worries that she will make a fool of herself and her family, and won't "bring honor to us all". She prays to her ancestors to help her to do her best, to "keep her father standing tall", and to "please bring honor to us all".
 
I pray that I can keep my father standing tall, I hope that by working my best every day I can bring honor to us all.