Tuesday, December 17, 2013

#14 "The Little Mermaid" (Never Underestimate the Power of a Smile)

So I think this week I'm going to start off with the Disney reference, and then every thing else will all make sense. This week's is from the Little Mermaid. Do you all remember that song "Poor Unfortunate Souls"? If you don't, I don't blame you, I was hiding under my blanket when it came on. To summarize, Ariel, the little mermaid, wishes to have legs so that she can be with her prince. The sea witch promises that she will, if the little mermaid will give her voice in return. At this request, Ariel is slightly confused. she asks how she is supposed to make her prince fall in love with her if she doesn't have her voice. To which the sea witch replies "you have your looks, your pretty face! And don't forget the importance of body language, ha."

While I'm not a little mermaid and I'm not trying to "get a man", I do have this little itty bitty problem that I cannot speak Japanese for the life of me - I don't have my voice. I do, however, remember the advice my Grandma gave me in her first letter she sent to the MTC: "smile". I have my body language, I have my face and I have my smile. In every way I act, I can try to express this love I have for the people here. I can express my desire to help out in any way I can. I can smile.

Chiyo san is a widow who lives by herself about 30 minutes by bike from our apartment. We try to visit her every Thursday, but she lately she has been sick. I finally met her for the first time this week on Tuesday. We came in her entry way for a minute or two to ask how she was and to introduce the new missionary to the area. I introduced myself in the two or three sentences that I know how to say and then just stood and smiled while my companion explained more about me to Chiyo san in Japanese. After a while she said "yasashiso", which means she seems nice (silent high five for body language!).

On thursday she texted us and told us we could visit her. We came over and as we took off our shoes in her entry way, she proceeded to tell us that she had told her friends about us. She told them that when she opened the door and saw me smiling on Tuesday, she thought I was smiling and glowing. She thought I was an angel! After we had left that day she said she went into the other room and felt her eyes fill with tears.

No, I'm not an angel - and my little sisters will tell you that I'm quite opposite. But the one thing I do know is that I can smile.

Don't underestimate the power of a smile.