Sunday, October 27, 2013

#7 "Just Around the River Bend"

So this week has brought a lot of change. Hansen Shimai's foot was not getting any better, and she decided it was best to go home, heal and then come back. She left just Friday morning and since then I've been placed in a new district to be companions with Bickmore Shimai.

My new district is a tad bit louder than my old district. Haha although they may not focus as hard as my old district does, they're super loving and I feel like even after only spending a day with them I'm part of their family.

Bickmore Shimai is great! She's very open, and very funny too. Although we're pretty opposite, I think we're going to get along pretty well. We are already very fond of each other and found something in common that we love: Disney!!

Speaking of...

This week's Disney reference is going to have to be Pocahontas, and more specifically, her song "Just Around the River Bend".

"What I love most about rivers is you can't step in the same river twice.The water is always changing always flowing." Being on a mission is FULL of change. We overheard a new missionary say that they hate change, and all we could do was laugh and wish them luck. While it may feel like the strict schedule will never change, every day is different and new. Especially after this week, with a new companion and a new district, I feel like I'm never stepping in the same river twice. I just have to wake up and pray to know what to do differently each day.

"But people can't always live like that, we all must pay a price.To be safe, we lose our chance of ever knowing what's around the river bend, waiting just around the river bend." To not be a missionary is to lose the chance of ever knowing what's around the river bend that the Lord has in store for you. I can't always be a missionary. Sometimes I wish, but unfortunately I can only live like this for a year and a half. I can only wear His name on my badge and forget myself completely in this work for a year and a half.

"I look once more just around the river bend." But I still have so much ahead of me. I'm sitting here at the MTC, embracing the change because I know who is taking care of me. I know that there will always be something around the river bend if I embrace the changes ahead of me.

Hope everything is great back home!
Your missionary,
Johnson Shimai