Sunday, October 13, 2013

#5 "You Can Fly"

I'm not gonna lie, this week went by super fast. I'm not entirely sure what to write about, not much happened! I guess time flies when you're working hard.

Japanese is coming along alright. It's still very hard, but I work on learning new words every day. Grammar is still way over my head, but I think I'll get it eventually. As for the lessons, my companion and I have decided to go without reading from a piece of paper. I think this is the scariest thing I've done yet. Instead of writing out sentences in Japanese to read, now I write down a list of scriptures I think we'll need and a list of vocab that I think we'll need. Seeings as this is about the fourth week that I've been studying Japanese, I need a lot more than just that. I've learned that the Book of Mormon can really answer any question. It's where I turn when the investigator asks a question and I have no idea how to answer it in Japanese. I look up a scripture and then ask them to read it in Japanese (it's my little way of cheating this ever-so difficult language). I've really come to know that this book really does contain a fullness of Christ's gospel - it has everything you need!

I apologize for this post being so short, but I think I'm going to jump ahead to the Disney reference;

This weeks reference is to Peter Pan. The song "You Can Fly!" got stuck in my head the other day, and I realized just how true the lyrics are for me right now.

"When there's a smile in your heart, there's no better time to start. Think of all the joy you'll find, when you leave the world behind and bid your fears good-bye. You can fly! You can fly! You can fly!"

I always keep my grandma's advice to smile close to heart, and as I've left the world and fears behind me and truly focused on learning while I'm here at the MTC, I feel like I'm flying. I learn so much every day, and I feel as though I can do anything.

Well that's all I got to say for this week. Hope everyone back home is doing great!

Your missionary,

Sister Johnson