Tuesday, July 22, 2014

#44 "Home Will Be Where The Heart Is"

Inuyama Castle July, 2014
Sisters: Johnson, Furukawa, Abe, Aoki, Maughn, Urling (front to back)

Do you all know the Disney musical Beauty and the Beast? if not, you should come to Japan. It's playing all over the island, and the posters are in every single train station. This week, as with pretty much every time I ride a train, I was reminded of the musical and in particular, with the song 'Home'. This is the song that Belle sings as she is left alone in her room after she has decided to stay with the Beast forever. The song is actually super pretty, and way fun to sing when you're coming home on your bike from a looooong day. In the song, Belle sings "Is this home? Is this where I should learn to be happy? Try to find something good in this tragic place?". The song continues and she comes to the conclusion that she is not home, because 'home will be where the heart is' and '[her] heart is far, far away. [So] home is too."

Recently in our apartment, Sister Furukawa has been struggling with homesickness, illness, and stress. It seems like she just can't get on top of things. Remember that water-skiing analogy? How you have to just keep holding on, despite the water in your face, and eventually you end up ontop of the water? She's still in the water, holding onto that rope, but she just needs to grip it tighter. Her trainer, Sister Aoki, has tried everything she knows how to do, and has sought so much help from leaders, but after all the advice is said and done, the decision to grip that rope tighter is Sister Furukawa's.

She reminds me a lot of when I first came out on my mission. I was so very homesick, and even sometimes considered going home. But I remember thinking of this song, and how home will be where the heart is. I remember thinking that going home was just not an option for me, I was not going to quit, I need to be here. I then came to the conclusion that I needed to put my heart here, in my area, and then home would surely follow. It's taken some time and patience, but I've found it to be true. Although Belle is right, home is infact where the heart is, I've learned that we have the choice of where we place our hearts. Whether we give them to other people such as family and friends, or put it in things such as cars and houses, our hearts are still ours, and we have the ability to move them and keep them with us.

Home will be where the heart is, but we have the ability to chose what, where, or who, our home is.