Tuesday, November 4, 2014

#58 "Belle Notte... Or Not"

So this week we had a couple of cool things happen. 

I went on a companion exchange with a certain Sister Miki (Her real name is Mickelson, but here in Japan she goes by Miki because it's just plain easier to say). I had a blast hanging out with her in Ichinomiya, she's such a sweetheart I absolutely adore her. We talked for a long time (in between working really really hard, of course) and we ended up talking quite a bit about what it will be like to go home. As a Sister Training Leader, I'm supposed to do all I can for the sisters in my care to see that they are happy and healthy and safe, so when I was checking for these things the upcoming end of her mission became a topic of discussion. She was telling me about the stresses that come with those final weeks in the mission field, and I realized that a lot of older missionaries are starting to 'die' now! It's kind of scaring me! It means I'm going soon too!! But I still have that extra time, so it's all good. Anyways, she's H.H.&S. and I'm H.H.&S., so all is well!

On another note, during that exchange while I was away from my area, one of our investigators picked a date to get baptized! Kato san decided on January 4th to be baptized. She's so prepared, so we think she can receive it sooner, but we won't push; I think she'll see it too, and maybe even want it sooner. We are so excited for her! Please keep her in your prayers!!

We also taught a wonderful lesson to Nakane san. We haven't seen her in a while, she's been so busy, but we were on our way to teach an FHE at one of her neighbor's house and we stopped by out of the blue and invited her. She came, but it turned out that the family was, for the most part, out with friends hahaha. So we ended up actually teaching her and the neighbor, her friend, a lesson. Things worked out for the best! Nakane san was able to ask us some questions that she has had lately, and she wanted to know how to read the Book of Mormon properly, so we talked about that. Lot's of good spiritual stuff. 

So we were riding home last night from that lesson with Nakane san, and of course, we talked to every person we could (I think sometimes it does not register to me just how scary it can be to be a missionary - we talk to every single person we see, but sometimes we don't wait to see if it is safe or not, we talk to them regardless). So we're riding home, and we're very close to our apartment, but I see this woman and I think 'okay, we're almost home, I'll just talk to this woman and we'll call it a night'. My companion had the same thought, because our conversation stopped and we slowed our bikes to pull up to her. I was closest to her, so I called out to her and started to introduce who we were and she completely interrupted me and walked right up close to me to say how wonderful we were....And then the wave of alcohol stench hit me. She was so drunk! She kept rubbing my arm, and telling us how we were so good to be missionaries and that people in Japan are so mean (my companion then asked her if she was Japanese and she said yes...haha). She kept talking to us, and as she was stroking my arm, I was thinking that we need to get away! But she was right up against my bike and I didn't want to hurt her!! My companion saw that and kept trying to end the conversation (or her very long rant about nonsense). Then she said it was cold, and proceeded to pat down my chest! I was so shocked!! That's when I just stopped talking and my jaw just dropped!! My companion kinda laughed but could tell that I wanted to go THAT VERY INSTANT, so she stopped being so polite and said goodbye, and the lady backed up to say goodnight and see us off (she tried to help push me on my way, but I put my arm up too fast for her). We left and I have been in total shock since. Needless to say, the Belle Notte was not really a Belle Notte. 

Haha gotta love being a missionary!!