Friday, June 6, 2014

#37 "You're Not A Lady"

I can't believe it is already June. It seems like just the other day I was heading into the MTC, completely dazed, drying my tears, and putting all my trust in the Lord. But here I am, reaching my half-way checkpoint this Saturday. I'm halfway done, can you believe it? I sure can't. There are moments where it feels like I've been a missionary for years, but there are moments when it feels like only a day. Eventually, you hit checkpoints, and you suddenly realize that time does move, not too fast but fast enough, that you just have to enjoy the time you're given. 

This week was a lot of housing (going door-to-door, asking if anyone is interested in hearing our message). It's a tiring task, and involves a lot of doors shut in our faces. It puts your resilience to the test, but I think it is so worth it. Just to know that they hear who we are, if not our entire message, is important to me. 

During this housing, however, we may have slightly noticed that the weather is becoming ever-so slightly warmer...it's hot. As one of our investigators said, "But it's only May!" It is, but it is already hot. According to the locals this is unusually fast, so I'm hoping that it will cool down faster as well, but something tells me it's going to be a loooooooong summer. Japan is almost famous for it's hot, humid summers and already we crank the AC the second we get to the apartment, eat plenty of ice cream, and do whatever we can to dry ourselves off from all the sweating that goes on. It's barely June...

But this reminded me of a funny joke I had with a sister back at the MTC. We were joking around one day, I think getting ready for gym, and we were quoting Disney movies. She pulled out "you're not a lady, you're my sister!" from Aristocats and it made us laugh so hard. We began using it all the time, whenever we felt that what we were doing made us lose whatever dignity we had held on to - "you're not a lady, you're a Sister!" 

In the state we do our missionary work, I wear the baggiest clothes I own, my hair is always up in the same bun or ponytail, and I am always sweating. I'm not a lady, I'm a Sister. And it's so worth it.