Saturday, May 31, 2014

#36 "Taking You All The Way"

I'm sure these blog posts must start to repeat at some point - I do the same thing every day. Sometimes I sit down to write and I have absolutely no idea what to say for that week - the same things happen every week! So here is the news for this week;

Sister Aoki and I taught an investigator yesterday. It was my first time teaching this investigator, but Sister Aoki had taught her before. Her name is Tomoko, and we also teach her son, Kouki. Yesterday we taught the gospel of Jesus Christ, and how we can follow him through faith, repentance, baptism, receiving the gift of the Holy Ghost and enduring to the end. It was my first time teaching this lesson to someone so I was pretty nervous, but my companion let me (attempt to) explain faith, baptism, and enduring to the end. She understood faith really well already, so I just added to her knowledge saying that when we have faith we rely on God and we pray to Him. Then Sister Aoki talked about repentance and how through the process we can correct mistakes we have made and have a  fresh start. Then, I explained baptism, and how when we are baptized we take upon ourselves Christ's name and we follow him. Sister Aoki talked about the special gift of the Holy Ghost, and I concluded with enduring to the end, always using faith, repenting, remembering our baptism, and striving to keep the Holy Ghost with us. When we finished all of the other steps, we went back and asked if there were any she didn't really understand. She said baptism was a little confusing, so we went back and explained it a little more, and even asked the member who had come with us to share her experience. We asked her if that was something she would want, to receive baptism, and.....she said yes!! 

She and her son will be (aiming to be) baptized on the 15th of June. 

I just remember thinking of that song from the Princess and the Frog, when Ray, the firefly says "we know where you're going and we're going with you, taking you all the way!". I remember he was helping Tiana navigate through the swamps of New Orleans, but it reminded me of our lesson. When she said yes to baptism, Tomoko said that she wants to but she doesn't know how. I (smiled so big and) told her that we will always be here to help her. We know where she's going, and we're actually going the same way, we're following Jesus Christ. We'll take her all the way!