Monday, June 9, 2014

#38 "What Does Your Heart Tell You?"

This week was...well...this week. Everything went by fast and crazy with hardly a moment to think. There were hours of stress, and seconds of rest. It's weeks like these that really test your faith in God. 

This week we felt it was time to ask one of our investigators to be baptized. Her name is Mika Nakane. She is a mother of three children, the eldest being mentally handicapped. Her husband left her when her children were young and ever since then she's been on her own to earn money, raise the children, take care of the household etc.. She's truly an inspirational person - she's so nice. She's been listening to our lessons, praying and she even came to church. She said she really loved church, and that it was a great place to learn. We talked about the Plan of Salvation, God's plan for us, and then we focused on our life on earth. We talked about how Jesus Christ is our example, and that if we follow him, he can show us the path to eternal happiness. She listened so intently and asked questions along the way. I was so nervous to ask her, but as we taught I felt like she was willing, that her heart was ready, and that she would answer yes. We asked her and she said.....no. She told us her reasons why, and the big underlining reason is that she believes no religion is wrong, and that they are all right, so if she were to join our church, she would be saying that the rest are wrong. 

I remember feeling so heartbroken, but a quiet voice whispered to me and told me it was okay, all I needed to do was listen to her and pray for her and ask her if she will keep listening to us. That's really all we can do as missionaries, we can only invite. Whether or not people come to a knowledge of truth or not is between them and God. This is not the first time I have invited and been told no, and it most certainly will not be the last. 

To be honest, I know where she is coming from. I remember plenty of hours I've spent on my knees asking God, how come this church is called the "one true church", and why must there be a "right" church and a "wrong" church. I believe it is a very sensitive and difficult subject to discuss, but I can only offer Mika the way I received an answer and the way she can receive an answer, should she ever want one: prayer.  

In the movie Pocahontas, the Native-American princess speaks to the Grandmother Willow and asks her what direction she should take. Like Pocahontas, I was wondering which direction I should take, I wondered which path was the right path for me. Grandmother Willow then answers Pocahontas to "let the holy spirits guide you" and to "listen to your heart, you will understand". 

I know that when we get on our knees and truly pray, God listens. He will guide us. If we listen to our heart, He will answer us there. Then we will understand.