Sunday, September 22, 2013

#2 - "I Ain't Dead Yet"

I hopped off the plane at SLC wonderin' "where is my cardigan?!"

Okay, so maybe it wasn't so cold when I first got off the plane, but the very next day it dropped 20 DEGREES. I am COLD. Already I'm wearing my snow boots walking around while Elders in their basketball shorts and t-shirts act like it's summer! It is Coooooold. With a capital C.

Anyways, I suppose I am to talk about my experiences here. So here's what happened from Wednesday, Sept. 18;

My Grandma dropped me off at the MTC at 1:15pm. They really weren't kidding when they said it was pretty much dropping you on the curb and driving off as fast as you can! She was directed to a section of the sidewalk, we pulled over, someone grabbed my suitcases and said "follow me!" and we were off! I looked back to wave to my Grandma one more time before the crowd of people began to fill in. There are so many missionaries here!! I can't even try to imagine just how many people are on this little patch of campus with me. I dropped my bags off at my room and was ushered to class first thing without a second to spare. I met my teachers and Dad, you were wrong. They won't speak English at all!! I thought maybe because it was my first day, but nope. They only speak Nihongo. I did alright my first day, relying on all the Japanese I had ever picked up (all none of it...) but my poor companion has never studied Japanese at all! We work really hard together just to try and keep up with the class.

Between classes and orientations and sleeping, I haven't really had a moment to sit down and realize that I've left home for 18 months. I'm sure at some point I'll realize, and then I'll begin to hyperventilate, but until then I'm actually happy! I love it here! The people are fantastic and I learn so much from all of their testimonies. The teachers are patient with us and work with us for hours every day. I feel I need to start a whole new paragraph to brag about my companion so here;

Momma, remember how I said I was scared that I would get an exercise nut for a companion? Well you can check that experience off the list. Sister Hansen loves sports. She was even training for a half-marathon before she came to the MTC! Thankfully, she's very patient with me and will let me do my own thing in the gym while she wants to do some hardcore basketball with all the Elders. I'm so lucky to have her, and I know it sounds crazy but I know I already love her. She makes me laugh so hard and, like me, loves to goof off but can get serious when there's work to do. She's so reassuring to me every time I tell her that I'm worried I'm not good enough to be here. I tell her my beliefs and she strengthens them. She's taught me so much already, I'm so happy we have the rest of our time at the MTC together.

She's kind of my rock while I'm here, holding me steady while I try to put my feet on the ground. Last night we just taught our first "investigator". We introduced ourselves and even taught about Lehi's dream. IN JAPANESE. I'm so grateful that the MTC hires actors for us to practice with because I'm pretty sure I told him some crazy things, but I tried my best. Sister Hansen was worried, but she said the opening prayer, IN JAPANESE, and the Spirit just calmed me right down. I was able to speak as clear as I could and to understand most (MOST) of what he was saying. It was still pretty hard and there were many "wakarimasen"s, but I heard him repeat our message and I just knew we're doing alright.

Can you tell that I'm really excited with our progress on Japanese? I am!

I'm so grateful that God wanted me to serve a mission. I remember at the beginning of my senior year asking Him what college would make me happy and Him replying that I should serve a mission. For my whole first day I thought God was crazy, but on my second day as I ate lunch with my companion I realized that I'm happy where I am. I could live here the rest of my life and be perfectly content. Of course I know that God wants me to make it out to Nagoya, but for right now I'm happy here.

Life's crazy here at the MTC, but "I ain't dead yet! Actually I'm much better now!"

Missing you all so much, I hope life back home is going great.

Your missionary,
Sister Johnson