Tuesday, September 30, 2014

#53 "Everybody Wants To Be A Cat"

 
I've realized since becoming a missionary that this truly is the best two years of my life. Sometimes, I feel like every one should want to be a missionary, 'because a [missionary]'s the only cat who knows where it's at!' But at the same time, it can be pretty hard to understand how and why missionary work can be so incredible; it seems that not 'everybody's pickin' up on that feline beat'.  

Recently our Mission President has been asking us to use 'The Power of Everyday Missionaries' by Clayton M. Christensen (it really is a fantastic book, and I highly recommend it to those who have not read it). He asks that we study this book with members to invite and encourage them to continue in their missionary endeavors. So that's what we've been up to lately! When we're not in lessons or visiting people, we've been introducing this book and starting to study it with members. And so far they love it! 

We were recently with one member who has a love for missionaries, and we were going over to teach her neighbor. She knew the neighbor didn't have interest when they had become friends years ago, but about four months ago, she said we should visit the neighbor just to help her daughter move back home. I wasn't here yet to help with the move, but when I came, my companion took me to introduce myself, and also to introduce our English program that we teach. The neighbor was so excited, she couldn't wait to get started! She was so receptive to our message too. We taught her about the Restoration and the Plan of Salvation. We had invited her to pray - and she did! We invited her to come to church - and she did! We invited her to be baptized, and although she turned us down, she said that she may change in the future, so that we should not give up. She is so open to our message, it's amazing. 

Well recently, I had trouble setting an appointment with her, she had gotten so busy! I was worried that we had scared her off, and that she had closed her door to us, but now that I have a new companion, I figured I may as well introduce her! I took Sister Peterson over by her house and we were able to set up another appointment! I was so thrilled. Sister Peterson said we should try to get a member to the appointment to add another testimony to the truths we would share, and I instantly thought of the member who had first introduced us. We called her up and she said she would. When it came to the minutes before the appointment, the member told us she was nervous, but since I knew the neighbor was so open, I told her it was all okay. We went in, taught our lesson, and invited her to General Conference, to hear the Prophet speak. She marked it on the calendar and told us so was so excited. When we left, the member was in complete shock. She had no idea that her friend had opened up to the gospel, and was willing to hear our message. She was so encouraged by it, that now she wants to invite others to hear our message as well!! She told us she was nervous, and that she struggled to invite, but then we naturally introduced the book and told her how it can help her with these problems. She was so excited!! She can't wait to study the book, and we can't either. I love this sister so very much! She's incredible!!