Monday, February 2, 2015

#67 "I Know You"

I guess I am about due for a blog post, but not much is actually new. 

We were able to meet with a couple of investigators, and that went well. 

Roshio is a new person we've met. She is from Peru, but married a Japanese man and moved here. She speaks fluent Japanese and Spanish, so she actually works as an interpreter. She used to come to Eikaiwa a long time ago, but recently found time to come and that's how we met. She wants to study English more and more, but is so busy. We were able to offer her another English program we have, where we teach English for thirty minutes and then we teach the gospel for thirty minutes. She loved the idea, so we set up a lesson. She told us as we set the appointment that she couldn't take our religious discussions very seriously - she had previously brought up the subject of religion with her husband and found out that he was totally against her joining any church. She said that she would still come to help interpret our meeting for our Spanish-speaking members (she has a heart of gold!). So she came to church two weeks ago, and we were able to meet with her this past week at her home, where we taught her some English basics, and also about the Restoration. We offered to give her a Book of Mormon and she was so grateful! She really is the sweetest lady, and just needs a couple more friends here in Japan. She was telling us that she doesn't have many here in Japan, so we told her to come to our church and our parties anytime! I hope she does, she's so great. 

We also had a great lesson with Miyu chan! We met with her and taught her the Restoration. We told her that, like Joseph Smith, it's important for us to learn for ourselves what is truth. We asked her to pray about Joseph Smith's experience, and then we gave her a Book of Mormon to take home. She's kind of a tricky investigator - we're doing the thirty-minutes-English-thirty-minutes-gospel program with her, and as naturally happens with the program, some people are only interested in the English. Well, we thought it was at least an opportunity for us to tell her some of the truths we know and to let her feel the warmth that the Spirit brings. We invited her to church, but she sounded really busy...

We were very lucky this week to have interviews with President Yamashita. I know he is so busy, but when he can make time for the individual missionary, it always helps. He is such an amazing man. I was so so lucky to be able to talk to him. I walked into the room for my interview, and he asked me how I was, and I almost cried. I honestly felt so relieved! I love talking to President Yamashita; I always feel like I can say exactly what I'm thinking about; what my worries and concerns are. I had a wonderful interview, and was able to receive some personal training for me to learn how I can clear some of my current hurdles. 

And as per request from Momma, my week's high and low;

My low is that I had an old friend come back to visit... I thought I was free and clear of knee problems for the rest of my life, now that I had done so much physical therapy and had been doing the exercises they taught me on a daily basis. Well last week Monday, I ended up popping my left knee (usually it's my right, but I guess now I know they both aren't so friendly). I've been so blessed my whole mission to have only had one other pop in the MTC, until this one and I was like, "I know you, I walked on you once upon a [nightmare]". I've been in a brace all week, and on Friday I saw a whole new definition to the words "swollen knee". I got a blessing from the Elders, and called the mission doctor, but other than that, I've been laying in my futon, with my leg elevated, icing and heating, and taking 12 ibuprofen (as perscribed) every day. Not so fun... But I think it's better now! The swelling has gone down a little, and while it's still shaky and a little painful, I just tape it up, brace it up, and I can go! I just gotta watch out not to bike or walk too much. Ouch!

My high is that Miyu chan came to church!! I was so shocked when one of the members pulled me out of my meeting to say that someone was here for me. I walked into the chapel, and she was sitting right there!! She came to church! And she had prayed! And she had a good experience! And she had felt that the Book of Mormon teaches truth! And she liked church! And we taught the Plan of Salvation and the Atonement and the Sacrament, and she prayed again! I was just bouncing off the walls, I was so happy. 

And yeah, I think that was my week!