Tuesday, April 29, 2014

#32 "Supercalifrag...Or However You Spell It"

So not much happened this week, we've just been continuing what we were doing before... Oh! I did think of two things!!
 
1. We found a new investigator!! Her name is Yuka. She is 19, and she lives in a home that is Buddhist, but when we talked to her on the street, she was competely interested in what we had to say. We've already met once and prayed together. It was an incredible experience. She's really quiet, but I think she's still interested in our message. I cannot wait to meet her again!
 
Sidenote; did you know that in Japanese Missionary Language, an investigator is called a きゅうどしゃ (kyudosha). This literally translates to "truth seeker". Pretty dang awesome, ね! I love it!!
 
2. I gave a talk on Sunday! It was pretty scary, but this is the 3rd official talk I've given, if I don't count the time I had to go up and bear my testimony when I first came. The talk was about faith, and was 13 minutes long (haha in Japan, they have every minute of this meeting planned out). It wasn't too bad of a talk if I do say so myself, but I just mailed it home to the most fluent Japanese-speaker I know, so...Dad please don't be too harsh! haha
 
My Disney reference for this week would have to be Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious (please excuse my spelling...). I just remember Mary Poppins saying
 
"So when the cat has got your tongue, there's no need to dismay!
Just summon up this word and then you've got a lot to say.
But better use it carefully or it could change your life!"
 
(Another character interrupts her)
"For example?"
 
"Yes?"
 
"One night, I said it to me girl, and now me girl's me wife... OW! And a lovely thing she is too...."
 
Then they go on to say it about a hundred more times. I was thinking of this yesterday after I gave my talk, and a couple of the ward members came right up to me after the meeting. The talk itself wasn't very complex, I used some basic grammar principles and just about every Japanese word I know, but they all said I've gotten very good at speaking Japanese. Then they rambled off in Japanese and I was left completely clueless as to what they were saying. My companion found it pretty funny. She would just smile with them and agree, "yeah my companion can totally speak Japanese now!" It was a very...confusing...afternoon.
 
So better use your words carefully or it could change your life!! People might actually think that you can speak their language!